Sunday, August 19, 2007

Personal Reflection.

After reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Café, I was left inspired to fight the good fight and get even more behind my beliefs, no matter who looks at me funny. It really raises a fist at some astounding issues still going on today, such as racism and sexism. I connected with Idgie throughout the book. She’s a witty character who stands up for what she believes in and accepts people for who they are, not what they look like, how they dress, where they come from or how much money they have. She really strips people down and looks at them for who they are, not what they are. Ninny Threadgoode’s character couldn’t have been anymore perfect. She took on a motherly role for Evelyn and helped guide her through hard times, where she felt useless and alone. I loved how Evelyn had changed by the end of the book, bettering herself through all the day-to-day hardships she faced as an unnoticed housewife. Ruth stood out to me, as a strong character and a positive role model for women. I felt Fannie Flagg’s description of times during the Great Depression in the south was flawless. It really spoke about how hard it was for people to live back then, especially for women and African Americans, who were still fighting for their rights at that time. I learned a good amount of what the deep south was like and even got a few good recipes out of it. All in all, I really enjoyed the book and recommend it for anyone up for a good read.

No comments: